Article Updated Last April 28, 2018
Where to submit your application?
If you’re coming from the Visayas or Mindanao, your best option would be the Korean Embassy here in Cebu. Their office is very easy to locate since it is just within the vicinity of Cebu Business Park – commonly known as Ayala Center, Cebu. They are situated at the 12th floor of China Bank Corporate Center, located at Lot 2, Samar Loop corner Road 5, Cebu Business Park, Mabolo, Cebu City. And if you’re from Luzon, your best option would be, at: 122 Upper McKinley Road, McKinley Town Center, Fort Bonifacio, Taguig city 1634, Philippines.
For EMPLOYEES, here are the Requirements:
- Application Form (can be downloaded here)
- 1-piece, Passport size colored picture (Just go to any photo store and specify that the picture will be used for your Korean Visa application. They should know what size and dimension the printed photo should be.)
- Original Passport (Should have a validity of at least 6 months.)
- Photocopy of Passport Bio-page (the 2nd page)
- Original & Photocopy of valid visa/s and arrival stamps to OECD member countries for the past 5 years.
- Original Certificate of Employment
- Original Personal Bank Certificate (must include account type, current balance, account opening date, and ADB)
- Bank Statement (original or certified true copy of bank statements/passbook for the last 3 months)
- ITR (Income Tax Return) or Form 2316 Copy
- Copy of PRC Card or IBP Card (If applicable only)
NOTE: All documents must be issued within 3 months on the date of application. And as much as possible, submit your documents using an A4 size paper (with no exception for the Application Form.
Here are the OECD member countries:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States.
The first time I went to the embassy, I was 100% sure that my requirements were complete. However, my initial application was not accepted because it lacked a document that would supplement the authenticity of my ITR/Form 2316. A lot of big companies or corporations submit its employees ITR using a digital media, and the copies provided to its own employees were directly printed using an office printer and does not bear any stamp that the said ITR was indeed received by BIR.
I was asked to furnish any of the following documents below:
- “BIR Received” or “BIR Certified True Copy” Stamp (RMC No. 24-2015),
- Copy of Alphalist with BIR Stamp, OR
- Copy of Notarized Sworn Declaration, Transmittal Form with BIR Stamp submitted by company to BIR in compliance with RR No. 2-2015.
NOTE: This documents should easily be requested and provided by your HR.
A week later, I went back to the Embassy and submitted the complete requirements. I was then given a piece of paper where the instruction on when to claim my passport was written (which was about 7 days after submission).
The Visa is FREE if you intend to stay in Korea for 59 days or less, and would cost PHP 1,800 if you intend to say for 60 to 90 days.
Few tips on how to properly Fill-up the Application Form
- Just like any other legal documents, hand-written form is always the best; but be sure to write legibly. – I actually had to redo my writing 4 times, since I didn’t want any erasures in it.
- Be very specific to what is being asked, such as “page 4, section 10.2.a”, it is asking for the “Name of Person” who will be funding your trip. Since I am the one who will be funding my trip, I placed my name in it and put “not applicable” in the fields “Relationship to you” and “Type of Support”.
- Page 3, Section 9 of the application form will ask you for the “Details of Visit”. You can easily search for any hotels at BOOKING.COM and have it reserved for a period of time without paying for anything should you need to cancel due to non-approval of your visa or just in case you find another accommodation that would best fit in your itinerary. All you need is a credit or a debit card, and based on my experience, most hotels will not pre-authorize your card and will give you the option to pay for your room/stay on the day itself. After making the reservation, just wait for the email confirmation since it would contain the complete and current address and phone number of your chosen hotel.
Do send me an email, should you have any questions or clarifications about this article. I’ll see if I have some answers to your inquiries. And just like filling out the application, please be specific especially on the subject/title
How to Dress Up Your Pasalubong
Here’s one idea on how you could make your “pasalubong” a lot more presentable, more expensive, and of course thoughtful!